Thursday, January 31, 2008

Creativity Central

Everyone needs a place to create. A spot they can lay claim to, fill with their ideas, dreams and longings. A place they can let their creativity flow and flourish. I'm lucky in that I have a room to call my own. A studio filled with the objects I find inspiring, the materials I use to create with and a comfy chair in which to dream. It is a tiny room. Not much more than an oversized closet. But it works.

At one point I had a nice, large, light filled room for my studio. But a few years back we decided that the room really ought to be a bedroom. So I packed up all my things and moved into the next room over. It took me quite a while to feel comfortable in my new location. It was too small for creating, I couldn't find anything I was looking for, it didn't feel like "my space". Eventually I settled in and began to feel the creativity flow in my new spot. Although, I admit, I still feel like I don't have enough space and there are some things I cannot possibly do in such a small space. But that's what the kitchen table is for, right?

Where is your Creativity Central? Do you have a spot to call your own? If not, then find one. Carve out a bit of space for yourself and your creativity. It makes all the difference in the world.

1 comment:

As mama use to say, "If ya don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all!"