Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Update On My Son

First off, THANK YOU to everyone who was kind enough to keep us in their thoughts & to leave me a comment. It means a great deal to me to know that people took the time to let me know they were thinking of us.

My boy ended up not having to stay in the hospital because they felt it was OK for him to be at home. They did an EKG, blood sugar test, blood pressure in various positions and everything looked OK. As for the fever he's had for weeks they *felt* it was most likely a long duration virus. However, Monday we brought him to his regular doctor for blood work and she called yesterday to say all of it looks perfect. No signs of a virus or bacterial infection, he's not anemic, white blood count looked good, etc. So that rules out the long duration virus theory.

She did notice that there was a slight abnormality on the EKG though and the abnormality usually indicates Lyme disease. The results for that portion of the blood work won't be back until today or tomorrow so it's a wait and see on that one.

He did go to school yesterday and was feeling fine in the morning, but the minute he got off the bus in the afternoon I could tell he was miserable again. Pale, listless, not chatty at all. And sure enough his temperature had gone back up during the day. This has been the pattern for weeks now. We get a day or two where he is back to his old self again then the fever comes back and he's feeling sick again.

I want to know what is going on!!!!!! We've ruled out a lot of the bad stuff, which is great. But I want to know what is making this happen to my boy. It very well could be Lyme disease. If caught early it is easy to treat, but if he has it it wasn't caught early because tick season was over months and months ago. If he has it he got it last fall or earlier and that means treatment is a bit more complicated. Not seriously complicated, just not as easy as it is when caught right away.

Basically we're doing the wait and see routine until the blood test for Lyme is back. If negative then I don't know what the next step is. More test I suppose. Not a pleasant thought because I hate putting him through this and he is getting rather fed up with it all! But, sometimes you just have no choice.


  1. Hi...glad to hear that they ruled out all the serious stuff. But having to go through all that testing really sucks. I will keep you and your son in my thoughts and prayers till all is well.

    Love & Lollipops

  2. Been worried about you and your boy!!!
    My son has been sick with a fever off and on the last 2 months. He got sick again Sunday. His teacher said it's been brutal this year with 7 kids absent who have already been through it-yesterday.
    stay well...

  3. I haven't stopped by for a few days, I'll be thinking of you also-take care

  4. I hope you get some much needed answers soon. It's no fun at all to have to wonder what's wrong with our children. I'll be thinking and praying for you both.


As mama use to say, "If ya don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all!"